Head of Retail Operations
A very exciting opportunity has opened up here at the Hospice, for someone who would be able to lead our Trading Company.
For context, that’s our 23 high street shops, our online presence, our coffee shop, our book shop, our recycling centre, our house clearance & furniture collection services and absolutely everything else in between.
This really is a fantastic place to work and we as a charity are moving forward in a wonderful way, so opportunities to join us at the board level are rare – mainly because our leadership team are very good at their jobs, and absolutely love their daily life here.
Ideally, we are looking for applicants who have experience operating at the top level of large retail organisations and therefore can hit the ground running. This new appointment will represent the first in a significant change to our Trading Company, so creativity and an eye for opportunity are must-have qualities as well!
If you would like to apply for this role, please email a CV, a short cover letter and your current salary information to firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for this role is close of play on Friday 28th September.
Terms of Appointment
Salary: Terms and conditions commensurate with experience and expertise
Benefits: Mandatory auto-enrollment scheme – employee/employer pension contribution currently 5% overall
Location: Mary Stevens Hospice, 221 Hagley Road, Stourbridge, DY8 2JR and at the MSH Trading Company Headquarters in rear of Drywhite, Park Lane, Halesowen, B63 2RA.
Hours: 37.5 weekly, however, the post holder will be expected to work such hours as will reasonably be required to discharge duties effectively. This may include time during evenings, weekends and public holidays.
Annual Leave: 27 days + Bank Holidays initially
Responsible for: Ultimately responsible for all MSH Trading Company staff and volunteers
Key Tasks / Duties and Responsibilities:
- Achieving the objectives and goals of the company as agreed with the Group CEO
- To grow the business to meet the future demands of the hospice for its charitable work
- Provide effective leadership to the MSH Trading Company retail and merchandising team
- Maximise effectiveness and efficiency of the company in delivering its objects and goals.
- Member of the MSH Executive Board (MSH Group Senior Leadership Team)
- Promote the work of the hospice charity through retail outlets
Skills and Experience (Full details on Person Specification):
- Able to lead, inspire, motivate, influence & persuade others to achieve business goals
- A robust leader, who demonstrates vision, courage, integrity, authenticity, sensitivity and humility and allows a considered and balanced mix of personal and team input
- Has previously delivered strong retail growth
- Sustains a strong achievement drive
- Exceptional people skills
- Able to communicate effectively with stakeholders and develop productive relationships
- Complete commitment to the values of accountability, probity, openness and diversity
- This job description is not exhaustive, and the nature of the business requires that you are flexible in your approach to work and you may be required to undertake such reasonable additional duties as is required from time to time.
Professional / Technical Qualifications
|· Evidence of educational and professional excellence and achievement
· Current full UK Driving Licence.
· IT literate & competence with;
o Microsoft Outlook
o Microsoft Word
o Microsoft Excel
o Microsoft PowerPoint
o Social media
o Sage 50
|· Leading & managing large, diverse, multi-site retail operations, including change management
· A track record of having delivered strong retail growth
· Drives a culture of continuous improvement and simplification of the overall operation to improve profitability
· Extensive financial planning and management experience with the proven ability to grow an organization, balancing ambitions and expenditure within a more challenging funding environment
· A strong commercial awareness and understanding of fundraising and/or income generation and business development
· Strong, robust experience of setting, implementing and achieving clear strategic goals
· Proven experience of building, motivating and inspiring effective management teams and holding them to account through rigorous performance management
· Building and sustaining relationships with internal and external stakeholders
|Skills & Competencies
|· Able to lead, inspire, motivate, influence and persuade others to achieve organizational goals
· Sensitive and effective interpersonal skills – able to establish and maintain excellent working relationships with trustees, staff, volunteers and other stakeholders
· Innovative in driving sales and stock generation.
· Able to generate creative solutions, analyze and understand complex issues and make systematic and rational judgments based on relevant information
· Can build a committed team who feel fully engaged, supported and recognized for their contribution.
· Can raise the performance and capability of their team through clear accountability, coaching and development, feedback and reviews.
· Financially astute with the ability to grow the business, balancing ambitions and expenditure within a challenging funding environment
· Confident and effective communication skills with a range of audiences
· Able to identify and manage risk
|· A robust leader, who demonstrates vision, courage, integrity, authenticity, sensitivity and humility and allows a considered and balanced mix of personal and team input
· Strong achievement drive
· Excellent people skills
· Ability to communicate effectively and further good and productive relationships with the Board, staff, volunteers and other stakeholders
· An understanding of and commitment to the values of accountability, probity, openness and diversity
· A genuine empathy and compassion for the charitable work of the hospice
· Commitment to the vision, mission and values of the hospice