Current vacancies at the Mary Stevens Hospice
JOB TITLE: Staff Nurse
To apply, please email a CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Required to have first or second level NMC Registration.
- Interest in palliative Care.
- Evidence of continual professional development.
- Good communication skills.
Managerially responsible and accountable and reports to the Matron
- The post holder is accountable and responsible for the assessment of care needs, the development, implementation and evaluation of programmes of care.
- She/he will be expected to carry out all relevant forms of care without direct supervision and may be required to demonstrate procedures to and supervise junior members of staff.
- The post holder will develop their professional clinical practice to gain a good working knowledge of nursing interventions, non-pharmaceutical and pharmaceutical therapies required to achieve a good level of pain and symptom control.
- The post holder will support patients and their families during emotionally demanding and stressful periods demonstrating empathy, a good knowledge of loss and bereavement and good communication skills.
- The post holder will participate in maintaining an environment that is conducive to the delivery and maintenance of a high standard of patient care and the establishment of good communication and relationships between staff, volunteers, patients and carers.
- The post holder will contribute to the continuity of good teamwork and high standards of nursing care.
- The post holder may be asked to act as ward co-ordinator for a span of duty, or part of a span of duty, in the absence of a more senior member of staff or as part of their professional development.
- The post holder may participate in training and undertake when assessed as appropriate, the Verification of Expected Death of a patient by an RGN as part of their professional development.
- The post holder may rotate onto night duty and between the inpatient unit and Day Services Unit as the service requires.
1.To ensure that the nursing practise comply with Hospice policies and procedures.
2. To have an in-depth knowledge of the nursing process, promoting and supporting the use of the agreed model of individualised patient care.
3. To maintain accurate documentation in line with Hospice policy and NMC Guidelines.
4. To inform senior team members of:
- Significant changes in the patient’s condition.
- Any significant factors relevant to the patient
5. Take measures to prevent cross infection, reporting such incidents to the Nurse in Charge.
6. To ensure that prescribed treatments and medications are given in accordance with Hospice policies.
7. Ensure that the established system of continuous communication is effective for the assessment and reporting of patient care.
8. To help supervise volunteers in all parts of the Hospice.
9. To assist in ensuring that the Hospice team provide a warm welcoming atmosphere to patients and their relatives.
10. Ensure the correct usage and maintenance of all equipment, reporting any faults and removing hazards in line with Health and Safety Policy.
11. Assist in maintaining effective staffing levels.
12. Monitor the safe and economical use of all supplies and equipment.
13. Ensure that any incidents, accidents, complaints or other undue occurrences are reported to the Matron in accordance with current policy.
14. To liaise with other health care professionals both within and outside the Hospice.
15. To work with the Nursing & Midwifery Council Code of Professional Conduct.
16. To maintain current registration with the Nursing & Midwifery Council, complying with their registration criteria, i.e. maintaining a professional portfolio and study principles.
- To help create and maintain a learning environment for all staff.
- To participate in the setting of learning objectives by encouraging students to take a responsible attitude towards developing their potential.
- Participate in the induction and training programme for all new staff.
- To participate in the teaching of learner nurses displaying commitment and understanding of the changes in the education programme.
- Assist in the development of the professional skills of junior nursing staff.
- Act as a mentor to Health Care Assistants, Staff Nurses and Student Nurses.
- To assist in the creation and maintenance of a good working atmosphere.
- Welcome and introduce any new members to the team.
- Take all measures practicable to ensure the safety of patients, visitors and staff, having due regard to Health & Safety at Work Act 1974.
- To be familiar with Hospice Policies and Procedures.
- To maintain and improve knowledge and expertise in current developments and future trends in relation to nursing research development.
- To attend annual mandatory training provided by the Hospice including: –
- Health & Safety including Manual Handling
- Fire Safety Training
- Basic food Hygiene
- Syringe Driver Competency Training
- Glucose Monitoring Training
- Administration of Blood Products Updates.
The post holder will be subjected to performance appraisal under the IPR system and in developing his/her own objectives.
This job description is not inflexible. Duties of the post holder may be reviewed from time to time and the employee maybe asked to undertake other duties in order to maintain the service.
- Take an active part and encouraging part in audit and research activities. Taking the lead for implementing ‘essence of care’ audits and providing quarterly reports to the Matron.
- Through an appraisal system and critical self-appraisal, takes responsibility for own personal development and education, including in service training needs, meeting the NMC prep requirements.
Patient and/or staff information is confidential. It is a condition of The Mary Stevens Hospice employment that you will not use or disclose any confidential information obtained.
INFORMATION SYSTEMS AND GOVERNANCE
- To be proficient in operating IT systems and use information systems to generate reports for analysis and performance to aid decision making.
- Champion safe information governance within the organisation.
- To work within the policies, procedures, codes of practice and clinical guidelines of The Mary Stevens Hospice and professional bodies.
- Abide by organisation policies and practices.
- To comply with best practice and legal requirements regarding data protection.
- Support equality and diversity of opportunity in the workplace.
- Carry out other associated duties as may arise or develop in line with the broad remit of this post.